Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Radiation Info for Mothers

Hello!

Many people with children under age 10 have emailed me concerned for their children's welfare with the current radiation scares. I am on a global council now addressing homeopathic options for radiation and as such have access to a bit more information than normal that may help. Please know I'm not considering myself an expert so do what is right for you. I believe in offering what I can to educate so I'm going to offer some information here and feel free to pass this on.

First, the three main questions I'm being asked are:

- Radiation in our water/food - I'll address this one in this post, the others over the next few days on my blog.
- Radiation and thyroid/iodine
- Radiation in travel

I want to be clear that I'm focusing on children under the age of ten right now as these are the most susceptible to radiation poisoning as their cells are still growing and their hormones are finding their way as well which makes their thyroid more susceptible. Those with autoimmune challenges should also take additional considerations.

Per radiation in the water/food -

Yes, there have been heightened levels of radiation shown in some of the foods we import from Japan (and definitely locally in Japan). While our government is banning SOME of the items coming from Japan which have CLEARLY high radiation levels (this has been verified by our government), they aren't banning everything and I personally wouldn't let my young child (or anyone really) eat food directly from Japan right now. Also, please note that the food that is imported is then mixed with other foods both in storage and at the store (just look in your produce section for foods from Mexico, Chile, etc.). This being true my recommendation is go local - ie. purchase locally grown - with produce and try to with meats/dairy/eggs. Honestly that is healthier in general and will support our local communities so hey, why not:)

Per water, I have seen a few reports of possible increased radiation in our water supplies yet the reports keep changing the longer the radiation problems occur. I will offer that as I'm in Santa Cruz the water here is still pulling in a strong tide and I can feel the ionic difference here and am doing my qi gong practices even more than usual to ensure clarity in my energy. For those here in California, let's continue to be vigilant and while I can't tell you what to do nor would I wish to, my recommendation would be to limit the amount of time you have young children in the ocean right now as it looks like it will be a few weeks before we get consistent reports per local radiation levels.

My friend Linda offered that I might want to end this post with a recap of some things parents can do:

1) Eat local produce from smaller markets.
2) In California, keep little one's out of the ocean for a while as the reports on radiation levels are finalized.
3) For any children with autoimmune challenges, be extra vigilant both in food/water supplies AND in checking their thyroid activity.
4) I will address this in another post but for now, please do no take iodine randomly to ward off radiation, that is not how it works and can in fact cause major thyroid problems - I'll explain this in detail shortly but didn't want to wait in saying it as I know people are concerned of whether or not to do this AND increasing seaweed in those who don't usually eat it is the same as effect as it's introducing a new element into the body. Also, ironically, seaweed is imported from Japan and it hasn't yet been banned.

I'll address the other two questions on my blog shortly and as we receive more information about this, will do my best to upload new information. Thanks for your patience, doing a little each day:)

Hugs and hope that helps. Thank you all for your questions!

Blessings,

Jen

Jenifer Shapiro and The Empowerment Centre, LLC