Monday, September 22, 2008

Teacher VS Guru

I've never been a follower. I've always walked my own path. As a teacher and healer I've always encouraged all clients and students to learn from the work and teachings and recognize that I am a human being on my own path which may not coincide with theirs at times, and other times may coincide.

I find a natural inclination for many to attach to something that is attractive for them and lose themselves to the teacher/guru of the teaching. From my perspective, this misses the point of the teaching. It is the TEACHING that is attractive, the package or form it comes in may or may not be attractive and if we get stuck in the package, we miss the teaching.

I met another teacher recently who was a bit 'puffed up' from ego. She said she had the 'right way' for this particular method and spent much of her time downplaying the other teachers of the method saying they didn't know their stuff like she did.

As a teacher of alternative methods myself, I felt uncomfortable with the way she was acting as if no one could learn the right way unless it was from her.

I offered that my thinking on the subject differed from hers and that I in no way intended to look up to her, or down on her. I intended to look directly at her and assess whether the teaching she was offering suited my curiosity and interests at this time on my path. She immediately dismissed me, almost as if she didn't see me, and moved on to the woman next to me, one of her greatest fans.

I look back now and think, mmm, I don't actually think she did see me as a being who isn't part of her consciousness may never be seen.

The teaching had some interesting aspects which I'm sitting with to see if I align with them. Not sure yet, sometimes my process takes time to gain full clarity.

Blessings to you on your own unique path. Enjoy the day, Jenifer